Whether it’s a dinner party appetizer or a family meal, these tasty lettuce wraps are bursting with flavor and super versatile — easily swap in any lean protein (like chicken breast or shrimp) or fresh, crunchy veggie (like zucchini or carrots)! Want more crunch? Serve with roughly chopped peanuts.
Asian Ground Beef Lettuce Wraps
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound (450 grams) extra lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 medium (120 grams) red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 –3 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce or Sriracha (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 medium (120 grams) carrots, shredded or julienned
- 2 (25 grams) green onions, light green and white parts, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 8 large (120 grams) iceberg or butter lettuce leaves (see note)
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until crumbled and browned. Add bell pepper and carrot; cook 1 minute.
Combine soy sauce, lime juice and brown sugar in a small bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir into beef; cook 1 minute until heated. Remove from heat, and transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate meat mixture until chilled and ready to serve.
Stir in green onions, cilantro and mint. Spoon heaping 1/2 cup beef mixture into center of each lettuce leaf.
Note: If desired, lettuce can be chopped, served in a bowl and ground beef mixture spooned on top.
**This recipe is from hello healthy and myfitnesspal.com