Brighten up your day with these warm, ooey-gooey banana-nut doughnuts with cream cheese glaze! They’re soft, fluffy and the perfect match for your toasty cup of joe. This recipe prevents waste by making use of extra ripe bananas and keeps things on the light side by subbing in applesauce for oil.
Baked Banana Nut Donuts
For the doughnuts
- 2 medium (235 grams) ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 large (50 grams) egg
- 1/3 cup (80 grams) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (40 grams) whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the cream cheese glaze
- 3 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, toasted if desired
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a doughnut pan with cooking spray.
Combine bananas, egg, applesauce and vanilla in a large bowl. Combine flours, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl; stir into banana mixture.
Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each cup of doughnut pan. Bake 12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Prepare cream cheese glaze in a shallow bowl: Mix together cream cheese and sugar; stir in milk.
Dip tops of cooled doughnuts in glaze, and set on a wire rack. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon walnuts.
Recipe reposted from hello healthy and myfitnesspal.com blog.